Automated Random Picks on PPVs - Should this happen?

This is something I've always stayed away from, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask everyone what y'all think.

It'd be relatively simple for me to add in a feature so that you can have the site automatically make a random pick for a PPV for you if you forgot to get your picks in. The reason why I've never done this is because I've always felt if you want to compete, you need to actually come and make your picks.

But I know how frustrating it is when a TNA PPV comes and goes and you forgot to get your picks in for it. Now you have a much smaller chance of competing in the season.

Not that a Random Pick on a PPV would usually earn you tons of points - though many times it does with TNA - but at least you're not getting a huge 0 points.

So what do y'all think? Would you like to be able to have the site automatically Random Pick a PPV for you if you forget?

What I will do is make it actually track when picks are done this way, though - you will be excluded from winning the prize for the PPV if the random pick is done automatically for you. (however if you manually come to the site and do random pick, you still can win the prize)

Poll Participated End Date

Should we allow automated Random Picks on PPVs so that you never completely miss a PPV game?  04/28/2011

Yes     55.64%
No     44.36%

# jmt5887
jmt5887

I'd say that would be a good idea.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM
# cymru96
cymru96

it's a good idea

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
# jmt5887
jmt5887

I do however think it should be Limited on the number of uses per season or Year. but I'm not sure how that could be policed.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM
# DangerousDan
DangerousDan

cletus42o Your call but I'd say its fine as is. You should have to play to win.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM
# ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYR..
ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYRebeccaBlack
EV 3.0

idk. Cuz if we do this then all the leagues with lots of members but most dont even do anything will automatically be winning even if their members dont do anything seems a lil unfair.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM
# Whammer1
Whammer1

I was on holiday this week, so I missed the final updates to the TNA PPV, and while I didi quite well on the questions I predicted, I couldn't answer somw, so I'm all for it.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

@MiniJackBauer@ That's not really true though. Only the top 15 scorers from each league are used to rank the league, so it'd be unusual if all 15 of those people used Random Pick.

And if they did, that probably means the league as a whole didn't score much.

This is more of a safeguard to prevent people from 100% missing a PPV. I'd rather let them score SOME points with a Random Pick than have that person feel like there's no point in playing anymore this season because of a missed show.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM
# ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYR..
ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYRebeccaBlack
EV 3.0

cletus42o True.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Whammer1 Well, it wouldn't really help you out in that case. It would only run an automatic random pick if you hadn't made any picks at all.

It'd be too much work for me to figure out that you didn't answer SOME questions and then only randomize those answers. It's an all-or-nothing thing.

You probably scored better with the questions you did answer than if you had done Random for the whole thing anyway.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This feature is DONE. When you go to your SETTINGS, the first option now has to do with this.

I'll send out a global email for users who opt to receive system updates later today with this info.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 2:53 PM
# ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYR..
ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYRebeccaBlack
EV 3.0

OMG Nvm i love it. I thought that it wud automatically do it but u have to make it so if u mi9ss it random picks for u. Ok love it!

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM
# DangerousDan
DangerousDan

I guess its an OK option. The benefit of keeping the audience engaged probably outweighs the possiblity of someone winning on random picks. Worth a trial I suppose.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM

DangerousDan Yeah that's the main reason, I don't want people to feel so discouraged after missing a PPV that they stop playing.

But as far as them winning, well, they can log in and choose the Random Pick already.. so it's not REALLY something that crazy!

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM
# DangerousDan
DangerousDan

cletus42o Yeah, it ought to be OK.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Will we be able to see who made random picks?

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM

word2k9 Well, you know Random Pick has been on the site for a long time now huh? I don't let anyone know who uses that.

Though the reason there is that you can hit the button, then go back and change some things, and there's no way for me to know that. (well, there IS, but I don't really want to spend so much time for such a small little feature)

I will be tracking who gets an automated random pick, so it's possible I could add something next to the score for those players to show that they got that score with automated picks.

I'll think about it. :) It'd certainly be fun to see if anyone gets in the top 10 for a PPV.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Yes it would and it would give us an excuse (e.g. I finished 8th, but three people ahead of me had automated picks.).

I like the idea because I have missed a few PPVs, but I am with @MiniJackBauer@ in that it favors large leagues. The game itself favors large leagues, though and I'm fine with that. It makes it that much sweeter when you win.

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM
# ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYR..
ItsFRIDAYFRIDAYRebeccaBlack
EV 3.0

yeh i thought id benifit large leagues but i then realized that u have to check the box in the settings to make it happen . Soi then the ppl that havent checked this site in years cant get points (unless the actually come on and check the box in the settings.)

Posted on April 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM