Chat Room Launched - Feedback Welcome

This was requested quite a bit over the past few months, and I said I'd do it and then it completely slipped my mind..

But it's here now!

There's a new Chat Room link on the left that will take you to the main page for the room - it has quite a large bit of space for it there.

I've also added it into the footer of the site, so you can see what's being said no matter where you are on the site.

I really haven't tested this out much so please let me know if there are any problems, or if it's doing anything that is negatively impacting your experience here.

I'm going to try and look for one (or find out if there's a way to do it with Meebo - what I'm using currently) that would let me have control over the nicknames so that registered players are assigned their username at the site, and anyone not signed in would get a guest name. But I thought this would be a good way to test the waters and see how you guys like this.

Poll Participated End Date

Do you like the chat room?  05/10/2011

Yes     36.00%
No - I want it removed     22.40%
I won't use it but don't mind it being there     20.80%
Yes but I would prefer a better chat room     20.80%

I already changed the chat software, so now it automatically logs you in using your fourdown username. It also makes your usernames links to your profile page, and it uses your profile photo as your icon. I think it's pretty cool!

Unfortunately this chat software will cost $20/month to use after my free trial.. so if you guys like it, let me know, and please use it. If it looks like it's getting a lot of use, I won't mind paying the money for it!

Non-registered users can also join in on the chat by signing in as a guest.

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 2:02 AM
# cymru96
cymru96

This is great coz you can see who's online and stuff!

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Another change.. I removed it from the bottom of pages.

Reason is people shouldn't be forced to join the chat room when logging in.

I'll put it back, but it's going to require it to be toggled on. That way it'll only be there if you choose for it to be.

Or does everyone just prefer going into the chat room section?

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM
# cymru96
cymru96

cletus42o if youre talking and reading something else you can multi-task when it's on the bottom so its good.

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

There's a link in the bottom right of the chat that, if you click it, will make a pop-up window for the chat room. I think that would probably serve you better for multi-tasking. :)

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM
# cymru96
cymru96

oh yeah... are you a computer genious or something?!?!

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

what is computer

Posted on April 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM

FYI I put the chat room back at the bottom of every page, but to prevent it from being a pain for people who don't really have any desire to chat, it will NOT log you in automatically using your username.

You're free to enter a name as a Guest, but if you want to have it automatically use your fourdown.org username, and include your profile photo + link, you need to visit the MAIN chat page first. (then when you go around the site, it will remember who you are)

Posted on May 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM