Ring of Honor - Should I add their PPVs to the site?

I've always said no to this - originally, because their PPVs were taped ahead of time so there was just no way to do it. And now, I may be under the false assumption that the ROH PPVs would garner even less interest than the TNA PPVs. And then there is the other piece of the puzzle - that I wouldn't think ROH PPVs should factor into the Overall Rankings (your combined WWE + TNA ranking, in case you are new here).

But I'd like to propose the question to everyone, and I'm going to try to get some people from other places that don't normally participate in the commenting on blogs here to pitch in their thoughts so I can have as much information condensed into one area so I can really think about it.

I'll start off by saying I know next to nothing about ROH, except that it is probably the best pure wrestling organization around and of course I know some of the big names that have come from there (and others that should have become big names but didn't end up making it for some silly reason or due to injuries).

So first, I just really need 100% confirmation that ROH's PPVs are absolutely live - if there's a 30 minute delay, that's okay - I can just set the cut off point of predictions to a half hour before the show airs. Second, I'd like to know that they're going to continue doing them for a while. (I'd hate to go through the trouble of figuring out how to build it into the site and then they stop running PPVs a month later)

And then I'd like to hear opinions - first, would you play them?

Second, do you agree with me that it should be considered its own entity on the site? Meaning, the Overall Rankings would NOT count ROH. ROH would be a ranking all to itself. There would be no "free-floating questions" for ROH (ie, the kinds of questions I put up occasionally like "WrestleMania 29: Who will Brock Lesnar face?" that aren't directly tied to a PPV game). I may even create a sub-section of the site where you'd find the ROH PPVs - meaning, you couldn't click PPVs on the left nav and find ROH shows - only WWE and TNA shows would still be there. Instead, there would simply be an ROH link on the left nav, and in there you could find the current rankings and any PPV games. Might even give it a slightly different look from the rest of the site.

And last, if there's anyone who has any type of contact with anyone at ROH that would be willing to reach out to them or put me in touch with them, it would absolutely increase the chance that I'd go forward with covering their PPVs if they would not only give me their blessing (not that I need it, but it'd be cool to hear from them) but perhaps be willing to pitch in on prizes - like a DVD to the winner or something like that. (because I really can't afford to give out any more prizes on my own) I think it COULD help drum up interest for them since this site has 10k+ WWE and TNA fans, many who probably don't know ROH at all, and having a new game could expose a lot of those fans to their product.

I'm going to put up a simple poll with just a Yes/No, but please comment because it's the comments that will have the most influence. I really need to know that at least 600-800 players would be participating for each PPV (which would still be behind TNA, but I think it could grow over time and overtake TNA as far as participation goes).

Also, in case I were to go through with it - I would really need some help - I don't have time to catch their PPVs live, and this summer especially is going to be rough since I'm getting married in July. So hearing that some people would be willing to help me score the PPVs accurately would also be something that would increase the chances of it happening. And if there's anything unusual about ROH PPVs that you think I should know about, please let me know now. I assume the cards are announced fairly well in advance, but any ROH fans who comment, let me know when the final cards are typically known. Also, if they do any unusual match types, or if there's anything that really stands out as a big difference between their shows and WWE/TNA shows, let me know that as well!

Thanks everyone and I would definitely love to build something for the ROH fans out there, but I need to hear from as many people as possible to really make the decision to move forward with it.

Poll Participated End Date

Should fourdown.org offer ROH PPV prediction games?  06/01/2012

Yes     64.52%
No     35.48%

Also, if you post on any message boards or belong to any Facebook groups about wrestling, please send this blog post along (if you're allowed to - don't spam on my account please). However, I have already posted to Something Awful (WrestleHut 2000), /wooo/ (The /wooo/ World Order), and SNS Radio Network (SNS Radio Network), so no need to post there. Of course posting to your Facebook feed or Twitter or any other social networking sites would be great, too. :)

Posted on May 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM
# dare2believe
dare2believe
The Straight Edge Society

I'd like to see ROH included in the site. I'm not familiar with their brand but di on occasion visit their website. I know Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoaa Joe and others have competed for them. Many of the knew WWE stars recently was with them but have not graduated from FCW.

Posted on May 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM
# xlxMAVERICxlx
xlxMAVERICxlx
SNS Radio Network

I don't think there's enough interest in ROH. They don't have enough coverage in the country for people to know about it. It's a good idea but it's going to bring in a bit of a limited audience.

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I think adding ROH to the site is a good idea. I've seen several users reference ROH in blogs/comments so I know there is at least some interest, but its hard to put a number on it.

I agree that the PPVs should not be counted for pts in the PPV prediction game, but I do think they should be listed under the PPV tab to avoid confusion.

I watch ROH, but not regularly. I usually just read results. I take more of a scouting approach with it. I do the same with FCW.

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Haven't gotten a huge response, so I'm going to just look into how much time it would take me to do, and also look into how ROH gets their card line-ups out to the public. If it won't be that difficult for me to do, I'll still be happy to do it even if it doesn't get much attention from people.

But if you really want it, please leave a comment. I'm way more likely to proceed if I know it's going to be worth my time! (not financially, but I don't want to build something that hardly anyone enjoys)

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

A few EE members contacted me during my time as admin asking for an ROH ppv game, I think there is a huge interest but by people who don't actually comment here much, the silent members who come on here once a month for predictions. I myself don't watch it but would still participate ( just like I do tna) cos it's a bit of fun either way. I would keep it out of the overall results though:) but at the end of the day it's down to you, if you don't have time it's fine. I'm also about to try promote the site but I'll inbox you about it later:)

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM
# RasslinFan
RasslinFan
SNS Radio Network

I'm familiar with ROH but don't know much about their product. Can't say either way on whether you should include it or not.

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM
# DangerousDan
DangerousDan

I wouldn't say I'm an ROH fan but I can't see any harm in adding it since it won't affect scoring (providing you have the time). The only drawback I can think of is that I'm not really sure how visible the product is. It airs a weekly show Saturdays @ 5pm where I am in the States. So at least its televised even if it is in a weak timeslot.

Posted on May 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM
# daver1128
daver1128
The /wooo/ World Order

I love ROH/TNA/WWE. I would have to say lots of the ROH product is done better than TNA. TNA pulls into a bigger market because of there resources. IF you look back in alot of ways TNA=WCW and ROH=ECW.

Posted on May 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM
# Mitch176
Mitch176

I don't watch Ring of Honor, but like word2k9 I scout it enough to roughly know the roster and what's going on. I personally would like to see a ROH PPV game, so long as it didn't count towards total score.

Posted on May 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
# mikeydmu07
mikeydmu07

i think one of the main problems is, unlike wwe and tna, roh is not televised over here in the uk, which alienates a lot of members from it

Posted on May 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM